Wal-Mart is the largest employer across 22 states, according to 24/7 Wall St. After the retail behemoth, hospitals are the largest employer in 14 states.
Here are the 13 health systems that are the largest employers in the state in which they operate.
Note: Providence Health & Services is the largest employer in two states — Alaska and Oregon. The rest of the systems lead employment in the state in which they are headquartered.
- Avera Health (Sioux Falls, S.D.)
- Christiana Care Health System (Wilmington, Del.)
- Intermountain Healthcare (Salt Lake City)
- Johns Hopkins Institutions (Baltimore)
- Lifespan (Providence, R.I.)
- Mayo Clinic (Rochester, Minn.)
- Partners HealthCare (Boston)
- Providence Health & Services (Renton, Wash.)
- Sanford Health (Fargo, N.D.)
- St. Luke’s Health System (Boise, Idaho)
- University of Vermont Medical Center (Burlington)
- UPMC (Pittsburgh)
- Yale New Haven (Conn.) Health System